Monday, April 27, 2009

En Route

Getting back into the swing of school work is proving to be tougher than I thought. I've let the work on the major assignment of the semester go in lieu of preparing and executing the move out of Baku. So, here I am, up in Halifax, staring at a blank WORD document and wondering where I left off a few weeks ago. It's 10:30 at night and no one can be expected to begin ANYTHING at 10:30 at night....and I keep fiddling around with this post.

Kenai is now up at the boarding place which is to be his home away from home for the next 4 months. I am putting it out of my mind. I hate thinking about how long he's going to be there, but it seemed like a great place for him on our two visits last week. Tomorrow, I'll call and check on how he's doing. Rob is on vacation this week, so on Friday (because I HAVE to get this project passed in by Thursday) we'll go up and hang out with him for a while. I am surrounded by cats here, and I miss him a lot.

John got his ticket out of Baku for Tuesday and the movers tell us that our things will be in Denmark in two weeks. That'll be something if it happens! The route our things are taking appeared on an insurance document that appeared in my inbox the other day.....Azerbaijan, Russia, Belarus, Poland, Germany, then Denmark. John doesn't think we need the supplemental insurance that this policy provides. It only covers loss by break and enter into the container...."mysterious disappearance" is not covered. Neither is damage due to leakage, breakage, and other perils. Kamran, the moving company rep insists that they have never broken anything, so insurance is not required. He and John have come to an agreement. If there is no breakage, John will by Kamran dinner when he returns to Baku next month. If there is breakage, Kamran buys dinner and cuts us a check.

I finally got a copy of our inventory and it looks to be in order....except that we have several jalousies, parts of jalousies, some bijuteys, and even some shits. I'm not going to think too hard on what those might actually be.....

So, here I am in Halifax. No trip back home would be complete without a few visits to Laurie's Complete Automotive. Laurie is hitting the jackpot off us this week. The first visit will be with Carolyn on Tuesday. She ran out of gas on the Circumferential....couldn't get the car started without putting some gas in the carburetor, but we didn't know that. I'm not sure what Laurie charged her to get it running but the tow truck was $70. Laurie was busy so it took a couple of days for him to look at it and concur that the tank was bone dry.

Wednesday afternoon her wheel bearing went....and so it goes...

Trips home always cost, on average, $2,000 in the first week. If you can survive that, the rest is easy.

No comments: